How to remove some mounted partition icons?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 10:40:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 23:14 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 11:03 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > I don't have a problem with having my storage partition on my desktop
> > but I also have also 4 other linux distos on my laptop and I see all
> > of their system partitions on my desktop!
> >
> > I know that there is a way to disable ALL partition shortcuts but then
> > I wouldn't see my usb drives on desktop when I plug in usb flash
> > drives and I don't want that.
> >
> > So how do I remove only the shortcuts I don't want from my desktop?
>
> If this is the biggest problem we have in Fedora, I think we're doing
> pretty good. Anyway, I there are two solutions
>
>  1. Add yet another gconf key to /apps/nautilus/desktop
>
>  2. Tell such users to use comment=hidden in /etc/fstab entries for
>     such drives and make gvfs honor this so a mount point is hidden
>     if it matches such an /etc/fstab entry.
>
> Since this affects only the kind of people who have > 1 Linux distro
> installed (for dual- or tripple-booting with Windows and Mac OS X you
> actually want this. IMO ditto for dual booting with other Linux
> installations but apparently others don't think so), I think we should
> go for 2. Alex?

Kinda 2. But I don't think having it in fstab is good enought. Not all
mounts have fstab entries, and you might still want to do things like
hidden (and other markups like "notrash" or "nopreview").

So, I think we should modify the mount tools and the kernel to handle a
mount option like "udata" which is just passed out verbatime to
userspace in /proc/mounts. You can then mount stuff with -o
udata=nodisplay,notrash and have the userspace handle those options.
They can be set both in fstab and when automatically mounting things
with gnome-mount or manually mounting stuff.

I've seen people wanting this for other stuff too.