musings on session service mgmt

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 01:53:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 20:39 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> This may be obvious, but the "correct" solution is supposed to be that
> apps should connect to either the X server or the session message bus
> and they should exit when the X server or message bus does. (Both Xlib
> and libdbus exit on disconnect by default for this reason.)

Of course...

> Other solutions are pretty much hacks, I mean, they may be worthwhile
> and pragmatic hacks, but, nonetheless. Apps should be exiting with the
> session already or they are buggy.

... but people write all sorts of weird apps, they have religious
reasons for not wanting deps.. that, and as soon as you require people
to add code to their app then everything falls apart.

> I would think this should only be done after the session bus is gone and
> apps have had a chance to cleanly exit, and maybe some kind of warning
> should be logged like "crappy app xyz had to be killed"

Certainly. The proposed ordering would guarantee this (00 < 01). I'm a
big fan of logging this to syslog too.

     David