musings on session service mgmt

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 15:22:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 16:14 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 20:39 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > This may be obvious, but the "correct" solution is supposed to be that
> > apps should connect to either the X server or the session message bus
> > and they should exit when the X server or message bus does. (Both Xlib
> > and libdbus exit on disconnect by default for this reason.)
>
> This would solve the problem above more cleanly.

Except that a decade of evidence shows us this is not the case.... but I
guess you'd rather want the status quo, with all the security issues and
perceived instability, rather than a working and secure system...

(But then again, this is the typical story of the Linux desktop; we
can't ever change or fix a thing because people who use the desktop in
rather strange (dare I even say perverse?) ways (e.g. expecting
processes to keep running) will start complaining as soon as we change
something that will break their highly-customized setups and habits. Do
not pass start. Do not collect $100. Instead let the naysayers and
status quo win.)

       David