How to remove some mounted partition icons?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sun Jan 6 13:18:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 13:16 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2008 10:55 AM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I meant exactly what I wrote. Having an icon on the desktop and not
> > being able to remove it easily (just remove it not unmount it) goes
> > agings everything I know about desktop usability.
> Why just removed from the Desktop?
> Why not also the Computer window?
> Why not also the disk mounter panel applet?
> Why not also the Places Menu?
>
> The Desktop is not the only interactive UI element where these things
> show up. I don't understand why the Desktop would be singled out
> specifically?

Maybe because it's just so much more "in your face" than the rest, but
really it should be treated the same on all of them. For me it boils
down to:

1. If it's a permanent mount in /etc/fstab, my normal user persona
usually may not unmount it.
2. If the mounted partiton/volume root isn't writable for that user,
it's no more special than other non-writable directories like e.g. /usr.
3. With 1. and 2., I see no reason to have an automatic icon for it on
the desktop, in the computer window, on the disk mounter applet or in
the places menu. Especially not one I can't remove ;-).

Then I don't see a reason for icons that can't be removed, except in the
case of removable media or hardware (to have a means to unmmount/prepare
the HW for unplugging). For the rest, symlinks in ~/Desktop are just
fine (where being removable comes with the package).

Sounds sensible?

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759