What should the desktop spin for F9 look like ?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Mon Jan 7 16:32:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 15:38 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matthias Clasen <mclasen <at> redhat.com> writes:
> >   + switch from "generic name" style to "name - generic name" ?
>
> Yes, please! :-)
>
> Ideally that'd be implemented by using both the Name and GenericName fields of

++

> the .desktop file, but even putting "name - generic name" into Name would be a
> huge improvement over having just the generic name there (and require no
> changes to GNOME, whereas GenericName is currently not supported by GNOME).

That'd just generate a huge mess once tools (panel etc.) could cope with
Name + GenericName, wouldn't it? If all else fails, allow "Name=<name> -
<genericname>" only if GenericName is empty.

> >   + "too much" - what to get rid of in the menus, and how
>
> IMHO all GUI apps really need to be in the menus. How else are users supposed
> to find them?

In principle yes, but if we talk about live media we can resort to:
what's not on the media isn't in the menu either.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759