How to remove some mounted partition icons?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Jan 8 03:46:24 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 4:28 PM, Douglas McClendon
> <dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org> wrote:
>> I had been happily just yanking usbsticks for a long time, though just
>> the other day I did manage to corrupt a vfat fs on one pretty badly.
>
> But would you ever want to yank a  terabyte sized usb "stick" like
> Maxtor OneTouch III Turbo 1TB External Drive?

Absolutely, if I trusted that the kernel code was smart enough to never
result in a corrupted filesystem.

I mean, as far as a user experience goes, manual unmounting is one of
the biggest hassles around.

I know I'm just stating the obvious, and nothing you don't know, but
clearly the lack of an external-media-user-interface as robust and easy
as MS-windows-3.1 floppy disk interface, has been a serious hinderance
to linux's widespread adoption.

Maybe someone knowledgable can fill me in- but is there any reason why
currently you *can't*(or shouldn't) yank a terabyte external ext3fs usb
2.0 drive?  Obviously I wouldn't do it in an enterprise situation until
such a practice was widely accepted in the official documentation for a
couple years.  But it certainly seems like it should be doable with
journaled filesystems, and a data volume which you know that you have
finished all commands writing to it, for say 3X the the maximum amount
of time you know the system would let it have uncommitted writes.

-dmc