How to remove some mounted partition icons?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 09:46:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 21:46 -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Jan 7, 2008 4:28 PM, Douglas McClendon
> > <dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org> wrote:
> >> I had been happily just yanking usbsticks for a long time, though just
> >> the other day I did manage to corrupt a vfat fs on one pretty badly.
> >
> > But would you ever want to yank a  terabyte sized usb "stick" like
> > Maxtor OneTouch III Turbo 1TB External Drive?
>
> Absolutely, if I trusted that the kernel code was smart enough to never
> result in a corrupted filesystem.

Hm. I had the impression that even Windows nowadays has icons to
"unmount" removable media (like USB sticks), possibly for a reason?

Anyway, you'd also have to trust that the hardware can cope with being
yanked, possibly in mid-operation.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759