musings on session service mgmt

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 17:24:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 10:05 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> SIGHUP already have a defined meaning, and is normally sent when the
> controlling tty disappears.

Right.

> In an X session this would be when the
> terminal app dies. I'm not sure that extending/changing this will work
> well.

It seems analogous to me to send SIGHUP to the process group when the
desktop session ends.  ConsoleKit adds a new notion of "session" defined
by the XDG_SESSION_COOKIE which includes even processes which
disassociate themselves from the initial login process group.  That's
fine and should make things more robust, though I would still argue that
processes launched as part of the "normal" desktop which setsid (or more
generally "daemonize") are wrong.

Anyways, I think if David changes ConsoleKit to send SIGHUP instead of
SIGTERM/SIGKILL as he said he would, we're all happy.  "nohup" etc.
continue to work unmodified.