What should the desktop spin for F9 look like ?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:34:13 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> Jonathan tried to kick off this discussion earlier, with some success.
>> I think we should revive the desktop SIG and start to work out some
>> concrete goals for what we want to improve in the desktop spin for F9.
>>

>> Here are some things that we might want to discuss:
>>
>> - menus
>>   + switch from "generic name" style to "name - generic name" ?   +
>> "too much" - what to get rid of in the menus, and how
>>
>> - login screen
>>   + can we make the special live-cd situation more intuitive ?
>>
>> - bootup   + should we look at the nm dispatcher work by jon nettleton ?
>>
>> - content
>>   + people have proposed to add some free content to the cd
>>
>> - anything else people want to see improved
>>

>> Matthias
>>

> I have posted this idea before but on fedora-devel mailin list, and it
> got great response. I'm reposting it here and adding a RFE to
> fedora-destop.
>
> * Desktop shortcut for joining Fedora IRC (aka "Get Live Help")
> Fedora is about freedom+communication, right? Why not make this
> statement more that just a nice slogan. If you installed saabyon linux
> you could experienced for yourself what this really means. I as a new
> user to gentoo (sabayon is based on gentoo) was really blown away with
> this feature. It is really, really simple to implement and gives a
> real meaning to a communication friendly linux distro.
> In sabayon link to their IRC chat has a simple name "Get Live Help"
> and it work fabulous! I didn't have any Portage experience so I poped
> in IRC chat room and was on my way after I got quick help. Whis kind
> of help was precious to me and would love to see it in fedora as one
> of it's main features and not just as a slogan.
> screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=382063978&size=l

Here are some of the suggestions that followed this discussion:

+1 although should this need a specific support channel?

I would really like this for a rescue situation, so that I don't have to
register nick's and muck around trying to remember my nick and password.
For total newbies, it'd be good too.  I imagine that it wouldn't that
significant of a burden.
Over on the user list, the OP mentioned Sabayon doing this. Pidgin is in
the live cd and would work fine for this, to my knowledge.  It would
have to be something in the live cd. I see it more as a live-cd thing
rather than necessary on an actual install.