What should the desktop spin for F9 look like ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 20:27:14 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 1:32 AM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Desktop shortcut for joining Fedora IRC (aka "Get Live Help")
> Fedora is about freedom+communication, right?

For those of you who remember..... Ximian's Gnome desktop had a
specialized irc client and a gnome panel entry that started it up that
did this very thing in the RHL 7.x time period.

I spent an inordinate amount of time on Ximian's monkeychat irc
channel, helping people through things.  I think it was a valuable
thing to have, but it was not really organized.

If we were going to do something similar in Fedora, I would strongly
suggest these items be addressed before it goes live in a spin:

1) that we have a team of individuals ready to go as ops for the
channel before it goes live in a spin, with an effort to get 24 hour
coverage.  These are the people with the authority to step in and move
things along if the conversation degrades.

2) Identify a "helper" role and a list of people who are filling that
role and provide best practices policy for how to help users coming in
with problems.  This may or may not be the same as the ops role.  The
point being these are the people who commit to "helpdesk hours" in a
public way. If someone comes in at a certain time, they should be able
to check and see if a helper is manning the helpdesk.  Mutual aid
between users is a very useful thing, but having someone there who is
committed to setting an example on how to work through problems with
other people goes along way towards keeping things pleasant and
constructive.

3) There needs to be an established rules of conduct which is
presented to users before they enter the channel. Not in the channel
topic...after they've entered. I want a nag dialog, prior to entering
irc-space. A first time dialog would be fine.

-jef