Flash videos in Fedora 9 via swfdec or proprietary plugin?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 14:06:32 UTC 2008

Hi,
I just got back from testing a bit rawhide and new Firefox 3 works great
and one thing I noticed is that there is a flash plugin in rawhide. I
didn't know about swfdec project [1] before only about gnash [2].
I tested a bunch of flash video sites and I only got flash based ads to
play. Every video I tried it failed - file plays but only audio. Is this
an isolated bug I came across or swfdec is just too early in development
to be able to play videos?

Will there be an easy way of installing flash proprietary plugin (as
much as we hate it all) if swfdec has no ability to play flash videos?
Because users expect that things JustWork, especially their precious
youtube :)

Sites I tested and got no video:
http://fedoratv.com
http://www.ted.com