Flash videos in Fedora 9 via swfdec or proprietary plugin?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 00:14:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 20:21 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> 2008/1/26 Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org>:
> > On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 19:26 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > >
> > > I removed macromedia flash plugin and then installed swfdec and
> > > gstreamer-ffmpeg (both from livna) and under Fedora 8 nothing works, not
> > > even the audio. I saw that swfdec in F8 is 0.5.3 and in rawhide its
> > > 0.5.5 so maybe this is too old version...
> >
> > That swfdec for F8 your using is from livna I'm assuming, which doesn't
> > have pulse audio or gstreamer support enabled.
> >
> > Later,
> > /B
>
> Yes from livna. But one in Rawhide should work? As I said on swfdec
> mailing list it still doesn't work in rawhide even after installing
> all gstreamer plugins and gstreamer-ffmpeg
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> On Fedora 8 I tried also coping
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libswfdecmozilla.so from rawhide to fedora 8,
> just to see if it will work :)
> It didn't :)
>
> Valent.
>
> --
> http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
> linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
> registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
> ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Dunno whats wrong with your config, but for me under F8 its working
flawlessly after I updated swfdec to rawhide version (the previous
worked as well, only without audio and some videos, mostly those from
youtube but accessed from elsewhere, didn't work).

Here's what I've got (you can safely ignore the *-devel packages):
$ rpm -qa | grep swfdec
swfdec-mozilla-0.5.5-2.fc9
swfdec-gtk-0.5.5-2.fc9
swfdec-0.5.5-2.fc9

$ rpm -qa | grep gstreamer
gstreamer-0.10.15-1.fc8
gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.5-12.lvn8
gstreamer-tools-0.10.15-1.fc8
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.15-1.fc8
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.6-5.lvn8
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.6-7.fc8
gstreamer-python-0.10.8-2.fc8
gstreamer-plugins-pulse-0.9.5-0.4.svn20070924.fc8
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.3-1.lvn8
gstreamer-devel-0.10.15-1.fc8
gstreamer-plugins-base-devel-0.10.15-1.fc8

Hope this helps you fix your problems. Also, I don't use the proprietary
plugin, so swfdec is the only plugin installed that can handle flash.

Martin