Proposal: Install swfdec by default.

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:08:18 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 2:59 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 14:47 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
> > Sorry, my missunderstanding. I thought that gstreamer-ffmpeg can't be
> > included in fedora as that is what swfdec uses now... but why is then
> > in livna and not in fedora repos?
> >

> No, you are right that ffmpeg is not suitable for Fedora, and
> gstreamer-ffmpeg is what is needed to make swfdec play flash videos.
>
> Still, adding codeina support to swfdec would be useful for audio
> codecs.

That clarifies a bit. So in other words this would not play youtube.
Firefox would not suggest installing proprietary codecs as it would
see flash plugin installed (firefox doesn't check if it actually plays
video) and it will be happy with that.

IMHO this will lead to lot of users calling firefox and/or fedora
broken as legal restrictions posed on fedora will make this flash
playback feature broken by design if users expect or want something
more that just flash adds which work without codecs.

Valent.
--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic