making the i386 livecd fit

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:49:46 UTC 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 12:31 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 13:52 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Luke Macken (lmacken at redhat.com) said:
> > > /usr/share/doc is 141mb, but I'm not sure how viable it would be to
> > > remove it (everything except the release notes).  We could possibly split out
> > > the big guys into -docs subpackages.
> > >
> > > The largest documentation directories being:
> > >
> > >     5.1M ./bash-3.2
> > >     6.8M ./cups-1.3.5
> > >     8.1M ./ghostscript-8.61
> > >     9.4M ./selinux-policy-3.2.5
> >
> > While that's 30MB on disk, using bzip2 as an approximation, that would only
> > save about 3.5MB of CD space. Still may be worth doing.
>
> I've been pretty vocally opposed to removing documentation in the past.
> Because if the documentation is interesting to ship for the real case,
> then it's also interesting for being on the live images.  Especially as
> they're installable.  And especially as we start looking at things like
> deltarpm where having those bits on the disk to begin with matters
>
> Jeremy

I tested 7zip with ultra settings and got this as a result:

7z a -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on
selinux-policy-3.0.8.7z selinux-policy-3.0.8

ls -lh selinux-policy-3.0.8.7z
199K 2008-01-30 00:46 selinux-policy-3.0.8.7z

could 7zip compression be of any help?

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic