making the i386 livecd fit

Juan Camilo Prada Ojeda juankprada at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:05:55 UTC 2008

2008/1/31, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com>:

> On Jan 30, 2008 6:02 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Valent Turkovic (valent.turkovic at gmail.com) said:
> > > Could we do something different?
> > > Can there be an base install with OOo and language pack CD as an
> addon?
> >
> > I don't see how 'please swap in the other CD to run openoffice' is
> practical,
> > or doable.
> >
> > Bill
>

> I was thinking something different. If you leave everything by default
> you get Fedora 9 live cd installed with english and OOo in english.
>
> In Live CD installer you choose your country and/or language of your
> choice and then you are presented with two options to load language
> packs for gnome and Ooo from CD2 or download them if you are online.
> And then everything else is still installed from CD1. Yes it is a
> messy idea... but still maybe somebody has a better one...

+1

Thats pretty much what i proposed, i think is a good idea to let the user
choose its language and if it doesnt fit on the liveCD then it could be
downloaded from the internet. Someway or another non-english-speakers will
have to deal with english during his FOSS experience, and leaving English as
the default language isnt going to change that much (remember that DVD iso's
default language is english and it change ass soon as you select another
language). so we could add the translation just for the Anaconda installer
and leave the rest of the LiveCD with its default language, and if needed,
the other languages could be downloaded from the internet.