few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 14:13:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 12:42 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >  On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 11:30 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >  > I have a few ideas that IMO would make Fedora more usable as a general
> >  > desktop and developer platform:
> >

> > > 2. have gnome clipboard manager installed by default (glipper gnome applet)
> >
> >  This causes all sorts of bad problems.
> >  See e.g.:
> >  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2008-March/msg00053.html
>
> Can you explain this in plain english for non-developers. I have been
> using klipper and glipper on gnome for years without any issues so I
> don't get that "all sorts of bad problems" is causes because it works
> perfectly for me.

The thread I linked to contains a couple of real-life examples.

Basically it forces every selection change to be copied to another
process, and the selection changes all the time and can be large. This
can be very slow. It also means you're not able to do smart things when
you cut and paste inside an application (which is the common operation,
and which basically every application uses).