few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Mar 26 21:12:10 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating escribió:
> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 12:02 -0600, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>
>> but being as /sbin paths are
>> meant for administrative tasks, I actually do see having them as part of
>> a regular user's PATH a potential security risk.
>>

> That's completely bogus.  A "hidden path" offers 0 security.  If you
> don't want your users running them, set the permissions on the binary,
> or better yet, have the binary check the EUID of the caller.  If
> non-root, display that the command is for root users, but also allow the
> user to get --help and other usage or informational output from the
> command.  Just don't allow non-root users to apply anything.  There
> really is no reason I can think of to hide this crap in a different
> directory.  It just adds needless complication and confusion.

Sarcastic disclaimer.

Why not install all binaries into /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and be
done with it, then? Why EVEN have another path, anyway? Better yet, why
don't we follow Ubuntu and make sudo the default, make regular users
have admin rights! Why do we even need root? What's that? Geeze, I mean
why even keep an ancient file system layout?