Gimp vs GNU Image Manipulation Program

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Mar 25 07:46:54 UTC 2008

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-03-24, 23:46 GMT, Brian Pepple wrote:
>> I believe this is a question for upstream, since as far as I'm
>> aware we don't modify the name in the supplied desktop file.
>
> OK, than IMHO this is stupid, but their problem.

I'll argue this is *our* problem. The Fedora Desktop is not just a bunch
of packages thrown together, it is supposed to be more than that: have
consistency and a vision behind it.

As a long time GIMP user, with my memory muscle trained to find it in
the menu, it was a pain for me (and I sill have not recovered
completely) to launch it, I still look for The Gimp and see GNU something.

Here is how the Graphics menu looks on my F8 desktop:
Agave
FontForge
Fyre
GNU Image Manipulation Program
gThumb Image Viewer
Inkscape Vector Graphics Editor
ScannerTool

Quite inconsistent, but if I would try to apply some logic, it would
look like the application name is "GNU" and the description is "Image
Manipulation Program".