Gimp vs GNU Image Manipulation Program

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 09:31:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 09:23 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> 2008/3/26 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> > On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 20:09 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >  > I'm a linux only user and I find "GNU Image Manipulation..." a
> >  > non-sane name, as long as I know about Gimp and in all presentations
> >  > and tutorials the term that is used is Gimp. Look at book covers,
> >  > "Gimp book" not "Gnu image..." is on their covers, try google also...
> >  > let's be practical please.
> >
> >  I suggest you have this conversation upstream with GIMP since they're
> >  the ones that changed the menu name.
> >

> My gut feeling tells me that they will tell that fedora can change the
> name to gimp if that fits better,

As I already said, this is not practicable as we need to care for all
languages. AFAIK, we don't have infrastructure for forked translatable
strings.

> most upstream gnome people to who I
> talked to told me that on such minor things gnome lets downstream
> customize as they need for them.
>
> I'll talk to upstream and report back and tell you if my gut feeling
> was spot on or wrong.

Do you plan to do that via mail (gimp-developer at lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
or via IRC (#gimp @ GIMPNet)? If the latter, it would be nice if you
could ping me (my nick is "nils") as I may have something to add about
the technical aspects (.desktop files etc.).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759