Gimp vs GNU Image Manipulation Program

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 09:49:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:06 +0100, Robi wrote:
> So why don't you just put:
> "GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)", "Internet messenger (Pidgin)"
> etc.... Everybody happy, right?

Weeell. This would mean that somebody would have to whip the GNOME panel
into shape first so that it actually displays "Generic Name (Name)".
Then everybody and their uncle would have to fix desktop files which
have generic names as "Name" to work around that deficiency. Kind of a
catch-22 if you ask me. Perhaps we should propose that as a feature for
F10.

> Besides that, there's Google who knows everything for users who don't ;)......

This is a particularly poor argument ;-P.

Usually, if you don't already know what application you need to use, you
look into the menu to find out what's there. I'd hazard a guess and
claim that the majority of people won't search Google for more than
three with names like "KDVI", "UFRaw", "Xfig"(*) to find what they want.
If they don't find it, they give up in frustration and return to Windows
or MacOS -- which aren't inherently better, but since you have to
install much of the software by yourself, you're kinda bound to know
what it's called.

(*): Two of these use Name and GenericName as layed out in the spec(**),
guess which ;-)
(**): http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759