few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 13:55:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:30 AM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 08:18 -0500, inode0 wrote:
>  > Is Fedora committed to the FHS? Or is Red Hat still committed to it?
>  >
>  > The purpose was for root only programs of a certain class to be
>  > located in /sbin for example but including non-root programs there
>  > does muddy the experience for the end user. However I do think it is
>  > cleaner to make those programs available to a user by means other than
>  > adding /sbin to the default path of a normal user. A few links are
>  > cheap. Would links for those in /usr/bin clash with the FHS?
>
>  1. The FHS makes no rules about the default PATH setting for users/root

Oh, I did not mean to imply that it did. My minor objection to getting
rid of /sbin abstractly is that as a normal user I just don't really
want to be exposed to the programs I can't execute in a meaningful way
as a normal user.

>  2. The FHS has no problems with symlinks for the files it requires
>  in /sbin and /usr/sbin

I was wondering about whether the FHS objected to "cross linking"
programs that are used by both root and normal users that reside in
/sbin with symlinks in /usr/bin which is in the user's path already?!

John