Gimp vs GNU Image Manipulation Program

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:40:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Gian Paolo Mureddu <gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx>

> While we are at it, decomposing acronyms why call it "GNU Image
> Manipulation Program" at all, why not call it "GNU is Not Unix Image
> Manipulation Program", instead? Geeze!... I know, I know it is none of
> my business, but this looks like RMS-type of crusade to get the "GNU"
> brand better recognized as "Linux" took off much more than "GNU"

Because the exact branding is the upstream project's decision.  FULL STOP.
You can bitch and moan all you like.. but do it upstream.  If the upstream
project wants to spell out GNU... then they get to do it.  If they want to
change the name completely with every release...they get to do it.  I will
not excuse any more pointless ranting on a fedora list about this just
because its easy for you to do here. If you care about it..write upstream.
And if you don't care about it.. zip it.

What we get to decide is whether we are going to use the Proper project name
or whether we are going to use the Generic Name in our menu.. or both... and
how consistently we do either across our applicationscape.  The Proper
project name is what it is, and its the project's choice.  The generic name
I feel we have some ability to tweak if needed. In this case that's really
not an issue.

-jef"will probably be writing to upstream himself concerning
branding"spaleta