The desktop beyond F10

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Nov 11 08:59:32 UTC 2008

Nicu Buculei escribió:
> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>>
>> Indeed, Nicu, as have I and many, many other users. The thing is how
>> to improve the experience out-of-the-box, and Multimedia having such
>> a high profile (and priority for most users) is key...  I know this
>> has been brought up many times in the past, but why don't we include
>> in Fedora some "demo" material done purely off free formats (an
>> example of this for F10, if we are still in time, would be to include
>> the video-demo of adhoc netowrk sharing with NM in F10, and some of
>> the Truth Happens videos, Red Hat allowing). I know "other distros"
>> do this already, and I'm sure that these demos sure enough bring to
>> the attention of people the existence of these formats.
>
> I proposes in the past myself the addition of such content with no
> success.
> I guess this is a problem with available space on the media, all the
> focus in on the Live CD and it was really tough this round to make it
> fit on one CD (and there are still application deserving to be on the
> CD but with not enough space to fit them).

I see... For the liveCD is indeed kind of tough... However, there are ways:

1) The welcome screen on the browser (Firefox/Konqueror in GNOME/KDE
spins) a local .(x)html file arranged in such a way that users see at a
glance what Fedora has to offer, include in there links to some videos
(maybe even add a few thumbnails of the videos, which shouldn't take too
much disk space, a few hundred kb at most) to show case these technologies.

2) Instead of a welcome page, maybe a bookmark button in the browser...
less exposed, but equally "included" to a certain "media" location
within FP.O, etc...

There are a lot of things that *could* be done... The issue is "doing them".