The desktop beyond F10

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Nov 7 08:40:53 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Hey all,

Hi,

> with F10 closing in on the finish line, it is time to start thinking
> about how we envision the Fedora Desktop to look beyond F10. To that
> end, we (mostly Jon and me, with some help from other desktop team
> members) have started to put some of our ideas for how to improve the
> desktop experience into written form.
>
> You can find this material here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Desktop/Whiteboards
[...]
> Comments and feedback welcome, either on this list or in the discussion
> tabs.

I think commenting here is a better way, since is hard to keep track of
comments on so many wiki pages.

"Better Face Images" is one of the features. Diana worked on that before
she left (http://www.isity.net/blog/?p=65), maybe we can leverage
somehow her work, do a better selection from the collected images or
star to collect a new batch. Leave us know it the Art Team can help with
that.

There are also two related features, "Wallpaper" and "Backgrounds
channel", for which I think the best way forward is to link them
together, why struggle with an sub-optimal selection process (which, any
way you make, will get some un-pleased) when we  can offer everything
with one click using RSS feeds.
I don't like the part about randomly assigning an initial background,
one think I learned from GNOME is that good defaults matter.

For the "Better Fonts" feature, it may not be what you envisioned, but
we at the Art Team are actively asking for "artsy" fonts, things like
Rufscript or Beteckna. We don't want those in the default install, but
is handy to have them easy available.