The desktop beyond F10

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 15:02:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 10:40 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> "Better Face Images" is one of the features. Diana worked on that before
> she left (http://www.isity.net/blog/?p=65), maybe we can leverage
> somehow her work, do a better selection from the collected images or
> star to collect a new batch. Leave us know it the Art Team can help with
> that.

We used to ship those images in a gdm-extra-faces subpackage.
I need to investigate what happened to that...

> There are also two related features, "Wallpaper" and "Backgrounds
> channel", for which I think the best way forward is to link them
> together, why struggle with an sub-optimal selection process (which, any
> way you make, will get some un-pleased) when we  can offer everything
> with one click using RSS feeds.
> I don't like the part about randomly assigning an initial background,
> one think I learned from GNOME is that good defaults matter.

The basic premise here is that we think it may be better to treat
backgrounds as a 'personalization feature', not as a branding vehicle.
Since, after all, changing the background is one of the first things
many people do on a new device.

To make randomly assigning work, it is of course important that we have
a small set of equal-quality backgrounds to choose from (basically, each
of them needs to be a good default...)

> For the "Better Fonts" feature, it may not be what you envisioned, but
> we at the Art Team are actively asking for "artsy" fonts, things like
> Rufscript or Beteckna. We don't want those in the default install, but
> is handy to have them easy available.

Expanding the supply of available fonts is certainly great, artsy or
not...