The desktop beyond F10

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Nov 10 21:56:23 UTC 2008

Dan Williams escribió:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 11:37 -0500, Máirí­n Duffy wrote:
>
>> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>>
>>> It would be interesting to gather some hard data about how many people
>>> rip to mp3, ogg, flac and wav, but I suspect we don't have a clean way
>>> to get this data.
>>>
>> Don't the various music players each have some kind of xml config file
>> somewhere? Do these files have any information on what formats the
>> players support? That could be a way to at least have an idea of how
>>

> Yes, 10-usb-music-players.fdi.  And I'm pretty sure rhythmbox will
> already transcode to a format the player supports, but of course
> nautilus won't since it doesn't care what type the device is.
>
> Dan

I've been watching this discussion over the last few days, and I can't
help but think about one single issue: If Rythmbox rips to .ogg/.flac
and then transcodes into the DAP's native format (.wma/.m4a/AAC/etc) to
synchronize, doesn't that mean that at least the *encoders* to these
other formats/containers must be installed on Fedora, and that would
bring us to the first point of the argument of Fedora not being able
(under US laws) to include these encoders in the first place? What does
it matter if Rythmbox upstream is able to do this (regardless of the
format you may keep your own library) if it *can't be implemented on
Fedora* due to use of restricted encoders required. So, in a default
installation, suppose Rythmbox is able to do this, but it requires the
pertinent GStreamer plugins to be installed in the first place to be
able to do the transcode. Or is Fedora enabling RPMFusion by default and
installing these encoders in an "as needed" basis when a user first
tries to sync his/her iPod/Nomad/iriver/Sony/etc DAP?