The desktop beyond F10

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 00:33:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 10:02 -0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Comments and feedback welcome, either on this list or in the discussion
> > tabs.
>
> > Default CD ripper 	 Make Rhythmbox as good as iTunes for CD import
>
> My last CD-ripping experience went like this: Insert CD 1. Rip CD 1.
> Insert CD 2. Rip CD 2. Insert CD 3. Rip CD 3. ... Rip CD 6. Plug in MP3
> player. Open the Music folder in Nautilus. Select the files to
> copy---GOD DAMN YOU RHYTHMBOX! WHY THE $@!^#@$%^#$% DID YOU OUTPUT .OGGs
> WITHOUT TELLING ME!?!... Insert CD 1. Re-rip CD 1...
>
> I'm pretty sure the CD ripping experience before that went pretty much
> the same way.

That's not the CD ripping experience, that's the ripping and sync'ing
your music player experience. If you just wanted to play back your
tracks, this setup would have been as good as WMP ripping to WMA, or
iTunes ripping to AAC.

> That said, this experience *is* actually "as good as iTunes" if you
> don't have an iPod, since iTunes rips to AAC by default without warning you.

Pretty much. Except that Rhythmbox knows how to convert the files you
just ripped for them to be readable by your device.

File bugs if any of this isn't true.

And we're looking at making Rhythmbox replace Sound-juicer, without
significant feature loss. Integration with music players is something
that will come later.