The desktop beyond F10

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Nov 11 07:40:26 UTC 2008

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> Excaclty! And that is my whole point! Why lose time discussing this that
> simply cannot be done in Fedora due to the number of legal blackholes it
> would imply. There are a few DAP brands that do allow for free formats
> to be played back on them (iriver, Creative Nomad, Cowon iAuduio, etc),
> they can mostly play .ogg/.flac (beside the array of proprietary formats
> .mp3,.wma,.m4a,.aac, etc), but the main problem with these is the small
> storage capacity compared to the traditional iPod, and while pretty much
> all of these do support video, the video format they mostly support is
> also encumbered (h264 simple profile and MPEG-4 simple profile) I wish
> Theora will mature to the point that it would be a viable alternative
> for these formats and most likely would be picked up by some companies
> as well (just like .ogg Vorbis & FLAC).

I think the time is not lost if we make the user experience as good as
possible, even if this does not work out of the box, it will work as
soon as the user install a few external FOSS plugins.
Is pretty much guaranteed that if someone uses a Fedora system for
multimedia purposes, he *will* add the Rpmfusion repository.