The desktop beyond F10

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Nov 11 08:39:28 UTC 2008

Nicu Buculei escribió:
> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>>
>> Excaclty! And that is my whole point! Why lose time discussing this
>> that simply cannot be done in Fedora due to the number of legal
>> blackholes it would imply. There are a few DAP brands that do allow
>> for free formats to be played back on them (iriver, Creative Nomad,
>> Cowon iAuduio, etc), they can mostly play .ogg/.flac (beside the
>> array of proprietary formats .mp3,.wma,.m4a,.aac, etc), but the main
>> problem with these is the small storage capacity compared to the
>> traditional iPod, and while pretty much all of these do support
>> video, the video format they mostly support is also encumbered (h264
>> simple profile and MPEG-4 simple profile) I wish Theora will mature
>> to the point that it would be a viable alternative for these formats
>> and most likely would be picked up by some companies as well (just
>> like .ogg Vorbis & FLAC).
>
> I think the time is not lost if we make the user experience as good as
> possible, even if this does not work out of the box, it will work as
> soon as the user install a few external FOSS plugins.
> Is pretty much guaranteed that if someone uses a Fedora system for
> multimedia purposes, he *will* add the Rpmfusion repository.

Indeed, Nicu, as have I and many, many other users. The thing is how to
improve the experience out-of-the-box, and Multimedia having such a high
profile (and priority for most users) is key...  I know this has been
brought up many times in the past, but why don't we include in Fedora
some "demo" material done purely off free formats (an example of this
for F10, if we are still in time, would be to include the video-demo of
adhoc netowrk sharing with NM in F10, and some of the Truth Happens
videos, Red Hat allowing). I know "other distros" do this already, and
I'm sure that these demos sure enough bring to the attention of people
the existence of these formats. Maybe, also some of the ambassadors
would approach some of the more receptive companies to also include a
theora video codec in some DAPs, like I said, many companies other than
Apple do support free formats... The thing is "is there an integer-based
theora simple profile decoder available?" I may have look at Xiph's site
and probably the mailing lists archives.

Speaking about this, would any of you consider worth having a Wiki page
for DAPs on Fedora, and maybe linked to the home page (or featured
somewhere to raise awareness of it) about which DAPs could be supported
out-of-the-box and how?