The desktop beyond F10

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 15:36:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 07:37 -0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Pretty much. Except that Rhythmbox knows how to convert the files you
> > just ripped for them to be readable by your device.
>
> Isn't ogg->mp3 going to be unpleasantly lossy?
>
> Shrug. Maybe everything would have worked fine for me and I just messed
> up by knowing too much about some things (ForbiddenItems) and not enough
> about others (Rhythmbox's current feature list).

Possibly. But we want to make this easier.

> > Integration with music players is something
> > that will come later.
>
> Huh? I thought you said it already did that?

I meant "MP3 players". And yes, we already have support for those
devices, but it's not integrated into the ripping process.

Integration might mean having the user to plug in their portable music
player to check what it is, and what it supports, and try to make sure
we're ripping to a format it understands.

Cheers