Sudo for first user

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 4 16:44:02 UTC 2008

Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Rahul Sundaram
> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> You can add the following snippet to the fedora-desktop ks file into a init
>> script to make sudo just work for the first user. It can't be added to %post
>> since firstboot wouldn't have launched then. Let me know what you think:
>
> I'm not sure what the point of this is honestly - you already know who
> the user is on the LiveCD, so you can just give them sudo in %post.

Sure but I am not talking about this at all. Only for the install case.

> For the install case (which I think is what you're getting at here), I
> personally would rather fix this the Right Way(TM) for both LiveCD and
> installations from DVD, which is to give %wheel sudo in the sudo
> package, and offers an option in firstboot 'Make this user an
> administrator?'

Adding more things to firstboot can hardly be considered ideal or the
right way. Even so, for the desktop use case, I think what I am posting
makes sense and can be done right away. The "ideal" solutions and other
use cases have been used as a impediment for way too long. As a reminder,

http://blogs.gnome.org/halfline/2007/08/18/experimental-livecd/

Rahul