Sudo for first user

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat Oct 4 18:09:21 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> You can add the following snippet to the fedora-desktop ks file into a init
> script to make sudo just work for the first user. It can't be added to %post
> since firstboot wouldn't have launched then. Let me know what you think:

I agree the overall concept makes sense.  Some questions to consider:

1) Are we too far into the F10 process for this?
2) How does this interact with the default PolicyKit configuration?
3) How do other important OS vendors use sudo, is there a chance to
harmonize a bit?
4) Does it still make sense to have a root password (and root account)?

I don't know the answers to these offhand - my initial thought on #2
is that it would make sense to have PolicyKit use the user's password
for authentication if they're wheel (and ideally not prompt for
passwords at all for OS updates, maybe a few others).  On #4 I don't
think it makes sense to have root by default if we do this, but that
requires anaconda changes.