Sudo for first user

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 5 02:38:07 UTC 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Rahul Sundaram
> <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> You can add the following snippet to the fedora-desktop ks file into a init
>> script to make sudo just work for the first user. It can't be added to %post
>> since firstboot wouldn't have launched then. Let me know what you think:
>
> I agree the overall concept makes sense.  Some questions to consider:
>
> 1) Are we too far into the F10 process for this?

It's a fairly simple change. You can stick it in the current ks file and
do a compose and test or if you want me to do that and post a image for
further testing, I can.

> 2) How does this interact with the default PolicyKit configuration?

PolicyKit configuration should be tweaked to accept user password like
you said but I don't know about the details much.

> 3) How do other important OS vendors use sudo, is there a chance to
> harmonize a bit?
> 4) Does it still make sense to have a root password (and root account)?

Are you asking about disabling the root account by default? Not possible
without Anaconda changes and at this point, I wouldn't think about
anything major for this release atleast.

Rahul