PreUpgrade

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 18:05:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 17:02 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 20:01 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Preupgrade is not in the default package list for the desktop live cd.
> >
> > Considering packagekit feature of prompting on new distro releases which
> > in Fedora would depend on preupgrade, shouldn't be included?
>
> Nahh, PackageKit (the yum backend) automatically installs preupgrade the
> first time it gets scheduled to do a check for new distro upgrades.
>
> It needs to do such a thing as the preupgrade package holds the data
> about what upgrades are available.

...although the plan for F10 is to have this data provided by
mirrormanager, and have PK/preupgrade/livecd-creator/etc. use that to
figure out what releases are available. So PK's yum backend won't
directly require preupgrade anymore.

So it's a valid question. In theory I think it makes sense for all
Desktop installs. But I'd like to see wider testing of preupgrade-0.9.8
before I commit to that.

-w