Voting considered harmful (Was: Re: Echo Icon Theme in F10?)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 22:06:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 19:01 +0000, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Well, gnome and kde already look different on that level. Does that
> confuse greater community?

Not when (default) Gnome icons on Fedora look like (default) Gnome icons
on Debian and on SuSE.  Same with (default) KDE icons on Fedora and
such.

> Echo is *just another* icon set that is
> coincidentally developed by some members of the Art Team who'd like to
> see it as a default icon theme Fedora wide (as opposed to gnome wide or
> kde wide) when ready for that.

But what problem does it solve?  What doesn't the upstream provide in
this case, that we are spending effort to "invent here" rather than
contribute upstream?

> Does it bring anything to the wider upstream community? I hope that in
> the long run it will ease icon themes creation process for others as
> well (e.g. with helping with replacing unthemable icons by themable
> ones). Also I hope it will emerge into cross desktop icon theme used by
> much wider audience than just Fedora users.

Wasn't that already tried with bluecurve (and failed)?

> Does it bring anything to Fedora user? Different, more lively, more
> 3D-like art. Perhaps wider coverage of Fedora specific stuff (but that
> does not need to be limited to Echo). Is that a good thing? Seriously,
> who is to decide that? Definitely not me. I believe Art and Desktop
> Teams (and various other desktop SIGs when Echo gets selected for other
> DE's than gnome) together have the right to do so.
>
> If not, we'll continue to be just another alternative icon theme,
> developed by some of the fedora artists ;-)

I'm just trying to get a handle on what the problem is that echo is
trying to solve.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!