Voting considered harmful (Was: Re: Echo Icon Theme in F10?)

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 08:43:40 UTC 2008

2008/10/14 Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>

> Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 19:01 +0000, Martin Sourada wrote:
>>
>>  Does it bring anything to the wider upstream community? I hope that in
>>> the long run it will ease icon themes creation process for others as
>>> well (e.g. with helping with replacing unthemable icons by themable
>>> ones). Also I hope it will emerge into cross desktop icon theme used by
>>> much wider audience than just Fedora users.
>>>

>> Wasn't that already tried with bluecurve (and failed)?

Bluecurve failed to define naming standards, failed to get upstream adption.
Looking at the project that for icons actually made this happen, Tango we
now have the required standards, many upstreams such as gimp have adopted
it. I would say Bluecurve was a failure primarily for technical reasons, it
tried to create a solution without getting buyin. As an art project
Bluecurve actually did quite well in moving the desktop ahead at the time,
and without it we wouldn't have the standards today that we do, they rose
from it's ashes.

Even KDE4' Oxygen icons, having never myself actually played with them, are
said to be designed to blend with the Tango icons. They use the naming
standard, but that aside a KDE app will never blend 100% with a GNOME
environment and vice virsa, there are different design ideals but we are
getting better through standardization.

- David