Echo Icon Theme in F10?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:30:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:22 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Work is ongoing to leverage qt4/WebKit to improve this, but afaik,
> there's no eta for that turning into anything useful.

I'll have to look at WebKit a little on my own I guess..since it seems
to be the current buzzword.

My general and woefully uninformed feeling however is that, right now,
we have a problem with the sophistication of our svg renders as
exposed in desktop application frameworks and that's causing some
non-trivial problems for graphical element development.

My understanding is that inkscape is using its own internal svg
rendering codebase, which isn't exported as a library for other
applications to make use of more directly.   So we end up doing
reasonably good artist svg work in this fabulous svg oriented
application..but when we go to render the svg's later via rsvg, we
don't get the results we expect. I'm guessing the KDE svg-basic
thingie has similar problems.

Until the golden-age of WebKit supremacy arrives to save us, I'd love
to be able to access inkscape's svg rendering into gtk directly as an
alternative to librsvg, to do side by side comparisons, but I have no
idea what that would take.  If wishes were fishes, I'd be running my
own fish oil dietary supplement factory.

-jef