Browser mode for nautilus

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 18:10:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 10:25 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>>>
>>> FWIW, I personally don't think any of these are good answers. Often I
>>> think it would be useful if we had a good dictator to tell us what to do
>>> (in the Linus is the dictator of the kernel way).
>>
>> Who exactly do you believe should be that dictator?
>
> I think many of us remember the times when we had Seth Nickell and Havoc
>  talking "visionary" things about the desktop (even if they weren't exactly
> "dictators"), it was very useful to see the direction we are going to... any
> direction.
> Currently the appearance is we do not have any direction beside "follow
> upstream", but the upstream (GNOME) pretty much lack the direction also
> (Havoc and Seth were "upstream").
>
> So yes, I would pretty much like to see someone taking leadership and
> defining a direction, a "vision". And if he is coherent and active, we may
> be glad to call him our "dictator".

Upstream also says that the things they do don't mean that everybody
should follow them exactly. Upstream usually does provide some sane
defaults but gives the freedom to downstream distibutions to customize
them the way distribution's users feel suits them best.

And of course there are things that upstream asks from downstream
distrubutions not to change if possible, but some distributions do it
anyway.

That is why I understand Nicu that there should be a "benevolent
dictator vision".

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/