Browser mode for nautilus

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 20:15:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 15:42 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> While I personally just turn the firewall off and was considering
> advocating that, one scenario we should consider is "public coffee
> shop with wifi".  What Windows Vista does is prompt whenever you
> connect to a new network whether it's "home" or not.  I assume if you
> click "not home" (I forget what the option's called), it enables the
> firewall fully.  If you click "Home" it's either off or more
> permissive.  Something like that would need NetworkManager
> integration.

This sounds like a good idea. But it's prudent to note this is not about
security, it's about privacy: making sure you don't share stuff with
people you don't know.

We should strive to make Fedora secure by default. With good
architecture and design (and things like SELinux), this is indeed
possible as I noted with the notes about having SELinux integration for
gnome-user-share. This is much better than our current setup where
virtually everyone ends up turning off the firewall just to make their
computer work.

> Anyways, were we to consider this for F11 I'd suggest a feature page
> with rational thought and analysis (as opposed to assertions and
> resume comparisons).

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. We just need someone to own
this task, execute and deliver.

     David