Browser mode for nautilus

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Oct 28 08:00:00 UTC 2008

David Zeuthen wrote:

> You are missing the point that the sums of the bits (our product) is
> larger than the bits itself (each package). I posited in my original
> mail that we can create a better product if we have a dictator (or group
> of dictators) that makes decisions. In other words, we need to move away
> from the model where every package maintainer maintains his own fiefdom.
> It's counter productive to the point that it cripples the product (e.g.
> the firewall example I gave earlier).

The problem is, this thing with "benevolent dictators" (I really like
better Mo's "champions") is not guaranteed to work: if someone just
start to act bossy, the unpaid volunteers will ignore him or go elsewhere.
Sure, you may get lucky from time to time with an appointed leader (as
the recent examples at the Fedora leadership, as opposed to the early
years) but usually this role is earned, Linus is followed not only for
his technical merits but also for his charisma (he has tons of it), a
lot of people believe in him.