Nightly attempts of live image creation

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 10:39:05 UTC 2008

> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 17:26 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > I'm working on some scripting that will attempt to make the Live images
> > each night, and show some output.  Here is a first stab at what and
> > where one could find the output:
> >
> > http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/development-live/Live/i686/
> >
> > I'm no good with html, so when it comes time to script this up, I'll be
> > looking for some help to make this page a bit more useful, and also I'm
> > looking for input on what you'd like to see on these pages.
> >
> > as an aside, we've got a snapshot due this Thursday/Friday and we're
> > still oversize.  The durastic space saving changes (package removals)
> > were only done on the beta branch because we were hoping to fix things
> > with better deps/builds for later.  Please see the above for what kind
> > of shape we're in.
> >

> Frustrating. Again a lot of low-percentage growth, but what is really
> killing us is the new packages that keep getting pulled in:
>
> new package OpenEXR-libs: 823896
> new package libv4l: 170205
> new package gegl: 2161070
> new package sane-backends-libs: 6404932
> new package gnome-games: 18683521
> new package babl: 341948
> new package sgml-common: 135667
> new package python-setuptools: 988965
> new package pygtkglext: 368259
> new package hplip-libs: 312821
> new package sane-backends: 4246863
> new package net-snmp-libs: 4707665
> new package WebKit-gtk: 12024292
> new package ilmbase: 408114
> new package freeglut: 428017
> new package lzma: 207155
> new package PackageKit-udev-helper: 113030
> new package PyOpenGL: 5647635
> new package libsane-hpaio: 77784
> new package iwl5000-firmware: 352062
> new package guile: 3473157
> new package libggz: 348426
> new package PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin: 123694
> new package PackageKit-yum-plugin: 114822
> new package gnome-session-xsession: 4701
> new package gnome-python2-gnomeprint: 443188
> new package plymouth-plugin-solar: 512770
> new package SDL: 502851
> new package libbeagle: 99087
> new package evolution-perl: 7823
> new package docbook-dtds: 4568267
> new package gnuchess: 3959589
> new package lohit-fonts-marathi: 97286
> new package lm_sensors: 500370
> new package gnome-doc-utils-stylesheets: 1090771
> new package libicu: 17202512
> new package lzma-libs: 92737
> new package gtkglext-libs: 484178
> new package libieee1284: 69512
> new package ggz-client-libs: 614106
> new package yelp: 3333760
>
> I assume a good chunk of these is because we need to reinstate the removal of gnome-games and yelp, but there
> some which are not explainable that way. E.g the new gimp now pulls in WebKit-gtk.

I can deactivate the internal help browser in GIMP, it currently has
stability issues anyway. Then it should use the external default browser
for displaying help (I don't know if we ship gimp-help in the live media
at all). Alternatively, I can split off the internal help browser so we
can leave that out on live media -- it should be installed on normal
installations though because (once it's not crashing) it's much faster
at startup than say firefox.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty