Voting considered harmful (Was: Re: Echo Icon Theme in F10?)

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Oct 14 06:59:41 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 19:01 +0000, Martin Sourada wrote:
>
>> Does it bring anything to the wider upstream community? I hope that in
>> the long run it will ease icon themes creation process for others as
>> well (e.g. with helping with replacing unthemable icons by themable
>> ones). Also I hope it will emerge into cross desktop icon theme used by
>> much wider audience than just Fedora users.
>
> Wasn't that already tried with bluecurve (and failed)?

Nope, Bluecurve failed for exactly two reasons:
- it was not really Open Source: the license was Free but the file
format not (Adobe Illustrator), impossible to open with any FOSS
application;
- it was a one-man project, without a community, written guidelines or
source and when that one person left Red Hat, the project slowly died.

Apples versus oranges.

But a few years later, Tango tried (and I think still tries) to do the
same thing as Bluecurve: a cross desktop icon theme (we can argue about
its success and why).