gnome-wm and "compiz ... glib gconf" vs "compiz ... ccp"

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Oct 20 19:21:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 08:14:15AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> >> Sounds like those plugins are broken and need fixing ?
> >
> > Honestly I have no idea, other than seeing that people on the web as
> > well as most compiz/fusion tools seem to suggest doing so.
> >
> > If it's a bug then compiz & compiz-fusion are obviouly aware about it,
> > since they provide workaround in their tools (and with compiz &
> > compiz-fusion I mean core devs & community). And if they provide two
> > workarounds, then either the bug is currently too involved to be fixed
> > in a timely manner or it is not a bug but intended behaviour.
> >
> > In either case it would be nice to have Fedora work properly out of
> > the box. If it's a bug and does get fixed one day we can go back to
> > glib/gconf instead of ccp. Is there any reason otherwise not to just
> > patch gnome-wm to use ccp now?
> >
> I think that user settings will get left behind each time you switch
> between configuration backends.  That's a big negative.

Are you sure? ccp does default to store stuff under gconf and the
settings look OK. It looks like this is intended to be shortcircuited
one day, but not yet now, as many plugins work properly through ccp
and not glib/gconf.

> A bugzilla report against the affected plugins will get some people
> looking at whether it's a bug in the plugin or not.

People seem to be aware, there are official workarounds and ccp seems
to have a migration policy in place. But until all plugins properly
work directly with gconf we should not break it and use the ccp
plugin.

Anyway, it's just an observation about the user experience and how to
improve it with a little quirk. Just give a couple plugins a try and
see how they misbehave if you don't use ccp.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net