Browser mode for nautilus

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Oct 27 19:42:27 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 3:25 PM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I wanted to make sure there was no doubt that disabling firewalls is NOT
> something anyone should do.

There are different cases.  Having the firewall on in every case is a
simple story, but it does break the user experience for e.g. the
"unmanaged home network, behind Linksys router" case.  This is a
rather common scenario for the kind of audience we would like to
target with the Fedora desktop.

While I personally just turn the firewall off and was considering
advocating that, one scenario we should consider is "public coffee
shop with wifi".  What Windows Vista does is prompt whenever you
connect to a new network whether it's "home" or not.  I assume if you
click "not home" (I forget what the option's called), it enables the
firewall fully.  If you click "Home" it's either off or more
permissive.  Something like that would need NetworkManager
integration.

Anyways, were we to consider this for F11 I'd suggest a feature page
with rational thought and analysis (as opposed to assertions and
resume comparisons).