Browser mode for nautilus

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:23:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 09:21 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> David Nielsen wrote:
> > Den 28. okt. 2008 12.44 skrev Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> >

> >> We have a FUDCon coming up in January, in Boston where the majority of
> >> the Desktop team resides.  That would be an ideal location and time for
> >> this sort of summit!
> >

> > I would be a little concerned with relying to heavily on FUDcon for such
> > work, Fedora is a big project, many contributors spread across the globe,
> > many of whom would probably like their voice heard or have ideas they wish
> > to share. A lot of these people will not be able to go and partake in the
> > talks for simple reasons of time and/or money. Most of the time we don't
> > even get good video or audio of all the proceedings afterwards so it's hard
> > to traceback what the rationale for a decision is or to see what other
> > vistas were explored. As such I would be afraid a high reliance on FUDcon
> > for this work would lead to a lack of transparency in our process. I would
> > hate for this to become Moses coming down from the mountain carrying specs
> > set in stone without accompanying notes.
>
> I would rather the vision be developed in an open public way
> than live solely in the mind of some dictator who optionally
> (as a "bonus") would actually communicate and work with
> other community members.
>
> Unfortunately it isn't possible for everyone who wants to
> participate to be able to go to a physical meeting, but I
> know for the spins meeting we did at the last FUDcon we were
> very careful to make sure we took very good notes [1] and
> blogged about it as well.
>
> Once the story is developed it's easier to tell it and add
> on to it I think. But developing it is a big step I'm not
> sure of any better way to get done than a physical
> brainstorming meeting.
>
> ~m
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Spins

Hear, hear.  We have to keep in mind that conversations that happen at
FUDCon aren't closed universes where there's no input beforehand and no
follow-up afterward.  They are a good place to collect a lot of input
*representative* of the community at one time, quickly and without the
equally (albeit differently) obtrusive communication methods of email
and IRC.  After one of these group meetings, organizers should (and do)
carry those conversations to the larger community for more comment and
direction.

This *did* work very well with the spins meeting, and as Mo writes, that
meeting was well documented and conducted in an extremely open and
transparent way.  The people who attend FUDCon are a highly
representative cross-section of the community at large, with viewpoints
across the board on a variety of issues.  Getting that spectrum of
opinion documented at one of these meetings is a very effective way of
moving Fedora forward, but always with an eye toward allowing people
everywhere to add dimensions to the discussion as we go.

Announcing FUDCon sessions in advance also gives everyone, attending or
not, the opportunity to discuss key issues before the actual physical
meeting.  That's exactly why, if there's a desire to promote a more
targeted desktop spin, we're suggesting the teams involved make that
sort of commitment or announcement now.  That way, the community can
fully participate as much as it desires, and those teams can collect
input as needed to have a fruitful session at FUDCon.

--
Paul W. Frields