Desktop team meetings?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 23 04:18:05 UTC 2008

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 05:25 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> This availability helps for casual discussions but it is not possible
>> for anybody to follow the discussions that happen there 24/7.
>
> Nice try trying to imply that the conversations on #fedora-desktop
> "casual talk". They're not.

The distinction I am making is in between organized meeting vs impromptu
(which i referred to as casual) conversations that invariably happen in
irc channels.

> I'm sorry if that makes it complicated for people who only wants to
> "participate" in "decision making" at some weekly meeting without
> actually doing any work or otherwise get involved. But it's probably
> better that way.

There is a difference betweeen active participants who make decisions
and others who merely want to be informed. Weekly meetings help more of
the latter. When people feel more informed, a smaller percentage of that
would become more active participants over time or atleast that is what
I have seen happen in other SIG's.

>> It would be better to move to freenode like all the other
>> channels.
>
> Nice try: you almost trick the reader into believing the only channels
> worth anything are on Freenode and use that as the reason for moving
> #fedora-desktop to freenode. There's a nice Latin term for this kind of
> fallacy, try looking it up!
>
> Good luck,

Nothing of that sort. All the Fedora channels except for #fedora-desktop
are in Freenode. That statement of fact makes no judgement about the
value of other irc servers whatsoever. If have already considered the
balance between the disconnect of Fedora channels vs closer interactions
with upstream and want to stick with your decisions, be my guest.

Rahul