i686 (and likely x86_64) Live image not fitting on CD

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Tue Sep 23 03:57:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 22:51 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> If empathy didn't have a hard requires on some of it's plugins, like
> telepathy-haze (which pulls in libpurple) that would drop 20MB or more.
> IMO, the only hard-requires for empathy should probably be
> telepathy-gabble (XMMP) & telepathy-salut (local-link XMMP), the rest we
> should give a hard look at what we want to use a default in comps to
> reduce some of the bloat.

I do agree that this adds a hefty chunk of size to the image; but if we
do not keep the Haze and other telepathy stack components in it, then it
becomes a severe regression from previous releases' Live images, which
I'd also dislike to have happen.  :-/

The gnome-games-help package is fairly big for this (nearly half of what
we need to free up); is this strictly required for the LiveCD?

--Peter