i686 (and likely x86_64) Live image not fitting on CD

Brian Pepple bpepple at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 23 04:21:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 20:57 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 22:51 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> > If empathy didn't have a hard requires on some of it's plugins, like
> > telepathy-haze (which pulls in libpurple) that would drop 20MB or more.
> > IMO, the only hard-requires for empathy should probably be
> > telepathy-gabble (XMMP) & telepathy-salut (local-link XMMP), the rest we
> > should give a hard look at what we want to use a default in comps to
> > reduce some of the bloat.
>
> I do agree that this adds a hefty chunk of size to the image; but if we
> do not keep the Haze and other telepathy stack components in it, then it
> becomes a severe regression from previous releases' Live images, which
> I'd also dislike to have happen.  :-/

That's why I said we should look at what to include in the comps, and
not put hard requires in the spec. ;)

And there *are* going to be regressions in features even with tp-haze.
Empathy won't be able to do things like file-transfers, etc, that Pidgin
currently supports.

Later,
/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org>

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B  CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E