Replacing Tomboy with Gnote in Fedora GNOME group

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 15:17:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 17:50 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> My point is: Tomboy is launched as an applet, Gnote is a replacement for
> Tomboy, so I expect it to be launched the same way (Tomboy is a
> replacement for Sticky Notes, and that *was* an applet).
>
> I won't dive into the debate about applet versus application, as this
> was probably beaten to death on the upstream mailing list (GNOME, about
> Tomboy), but the thing about note taking applications is that you don't
> launch them when you need to read/write a note, they are part of the
> desktop with an icon in the notification area. So you interact only with
> that icon.
Well we're not exactly in disagreement since my point is that of a
possible *new* user of this application and as such, I'd expect some
kind of behaviour like, right-click on desktop and select 'Add note
here'... But yep, having it in notification area is a good thing too. I
don't really care if it's actually an applet or an application.

So I think sometimes, even though the app is meant as an replacement for
Tomboy, changes might actually be good, especially considering there is
maybe going to be Gnome 3.0 in a year or so...

As for the actual launching, that should be handled by session manager -
i.e. started somewhere around log-in, as a daemon. IMHO the most
important part is the interaction with user when the app is already
running, not the act of launching it (unless you need to launch it every
time you want to add new note, which would be IMHO a bad approach).

Martin