Replacing Tomboy with Gnote in Fedora GNOME group

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Apr 13 09:38:00 UTC 2009

On 04/13/2009 12:29 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> - it would be handy if Gnote would automatically import at the first use
>> the existing notes from Tomboy (it seems a manual copy do the job);
>
> Not sure how to do this sanely for all users at the packaging level.

I think about something like the Pidgin transition, when the user data
was imported from .gaim to .purple.
I believe (but not 100% sure) when first introduced Tomboy also imported
the data from the sticky notes applet.

> Probably should be a upstream feature request to import on first run
> instead. I don't think upstream has a bug tracker yet so file it in the
> Red Hat one and I will talk to the developer about it.

Yeah, it should be an upstream feature, IIRC it was one of the upstream
requirements for Tomboy too.

>> - Gnote installs an entry under Applications->Accessories while Tomboy
>> can be found in the "Add to Panel" dialog, it would be handy for Gnote
>> to be launched in the same way as Tomboy.
>
> Gnote is not a applet.

And Tomboy is? From an user point of view the two are identical and I
expect to launch them in the same way,